Mrs. Jane Vobe opened the tavern in 1772. Along with other Williamsburg taverns, the King's Arms was a gathering place where customers discussed business, politics and other news. They were the unofficial public buildings of the times. It was in Williamsburg's taverns where politicians debated independence and even operated the provisional government of Virginia.
The King's Arms Tavern is located on Duke of Gloucester Street near the Capitol in the restored area of Williamsburg Virginia. Today's menu is inspired by 18th century cookbooks with 21st century tastes in mind.